Our friends over at SMB Capital write an incredibly informative blog about the art of trading, the training regiment required for success, and what tools (both in your head and at your fingertips) are need to be successful consistently.
Below is the pattern they described in the article they wrote on Thursday, April 30th describing VISA (V):
"I was aggressive right on the Open with V today because…..
- it was very strong into the Close yesterday. It never traded below 61.80 after the Fed and held nicely near 63.50 into the Close.
- The first ticks were up above 64.
- The first tested bid held.
- The next resistance was not for miles, 67.
- V has a history of being explosive.
- V is a Tier 1 stock that Hedge Funds and Institutions buy. Think best of breed.
- The SPY’s are above 87.
- Strong stocks have made strong moves after solid earnings.
- The bids kept stepping up and holding. This is the key. When I see this I think “game on.” Now I am aggressive.
- The bids never dropped from 64 to most of 67.50.I do not care where V closes. This is a momentum trade to be made on the Open. Later, the market rolled over so V plummeted. I care about a pattern that I see time after time which most developing traders miss. This is easy money."
Based on the article I developed this strategy that caught 'V' and several others just like it on Thursday as well as Friday and will ongoingly.
The strategy contains 2 alerts and 11 filters:
Note: If you want to add more conservative risk to this strategy, one suggestion would be to increase the market directional filters in Trade-Ideas PRO and choose, for example, the S&P 5 Min Up filter with a higher setting than 0.05% or make choose additional markets that must also be up. This will only show you opportunities when the S&P or another market you choose is even more positive.
This is my favorite type of post: we find an article from someone reputable and model the pattern they've shared in the article inside Trade-Ideas PRO. We not only find the stock that they mention in the article, but many others in the same pattern.
I need to do more of these - on top of all the ones we tag with the words, "Strategy-Session".